Lifeline supports those who are bereaved by suicide in a number of ways:
- We facilitate a support group for the family and friends of those who have died by suicide.
- We send out information packs.
- We provide care calls.
- We offer personal counselling.
Call 1300 152 854 to find out more.
Walking beside those bereaved by suicide in our community, many have offered words of wisdom and comfort to those recently bereaved:
- Your journey is your journey –it is very personal.
- Take all the time you need, be who you are in your attempt to make sense of this tragedy.
- Do not compare your grief to anyone else's; if you are married do not compare it to your spouse's, if you are a parent don't compare it to your children's.
- No one can tell you what time frame your grief will last – there isn't one.
- No one can tell you how to grieve – there is no rule book.
- You have the possibility of developing a greater sense of compassion and empathy – when you come across someone who is having a hard time, you can be empathetic because you are also that person.
- Be gentle with yourself –don't expect too much of yourself.
- Everyone's grief looks different.
- People will tell what you should and shouldn't do i.e. it's time to move on or get over it – these are very hurtful words to hear.
- You have to find a new way to live.
- Time doesn't heal – it would be great if people were truthful – time doesn't heal but over time the pain does dull.
- I felt so alone and couldn't find comfort from my family and friends but being with others who had lost a loved one to suicide was what allowed me to not be alone in my grief.
- I have come to a place where I can be thankful for what they gave me and I have survived and can find joy again –something I never thought possible.
- Even though my sadness is close to the surface every day, I can both hear other people's stories and share my own.
Contact Lifeline on 1300 152 854 (9am-5pm, Monday – Friday) to find out what services are available to help support you through your grief.
If you are feeling sad, it is always good to talk to someone who cares. Lifeline is here to listen 24/7 call 13 11 14.
SOS (Bereavement Support Group)
We are sorry to inform you that the SOS groups are not on until further notice to comply with current COVID-19 related restrictions.
To register your details so we can update you when the groups will commence, please email [email protected]